Reopening Mandatory Requirements
Reopening Student & Staff Survey Results
Nassau BOCES has reviewed all building spaces both instructional and administrative and will use the appropriate combination of social distancing, face coverings and barriers as deemed necessary for in-person instruction. Appropriate signage has been installed and on-going education for protection protocols will be emphasized.
Working with Facilities and Safety Teams we have gathered information about class size in relation to recommended square footage for physical distancing. Some of the measures implemented, where practicable, include:
- We have rearranged student desks and other seat spaces to at least 3 feet apart. Individuals will maintain 6 feet of distance while eating.
- We have turned desks to face in the same direction (rather than facing each other) to reduce transmission caused from virus-containing droplets (e.g., from talking, coughing, sneezing).
- When using tables, we will have students sit on only one side of tables, spaced 6 feet apart.
- If deemed necessary, programs may repurpose the use of the following large spaces: auditorium, gymnasium, libraries, cafeteria, and teacher and/or student lounge.
Where practicable, both students and staff will be protected through social distancing (6 feet in all directions) or barriers.
PPE & Face Covering Availability
- The Agency will provide employees with an acceptable face covering at no-cost to the employee and have an adequate supply of coverings in case of replacement.
- Cloth face coverings are meant to protect other people in case the wearer is unknowingly infected (many people carry COVID-19 but do not have symptoms).
- Cloth face coverings are not surgical masks, respirators, or personal protective equipment.
- Information should be provided to staff and students on proper use, removal, and washing of cloth face coverings.
- Masks are most essential in times when physical distancing is difficult.
- Procurement, other than some very basic preliminary purchases will be done on a consolidated basis to ensure that the Agency is getting the most for its PPE dollars.
- Teach and reinforce use of face coverings among all staff.
- We have encouraged all staff to utilize their own personal face coverings but have secured and will provide PPE for any employee requesting such protection. Specialized PPE (N95s, face shields, gowns, gloves, etc.) may be required for specific work tasks and will be provided as deemed necessary. Those individuals that are required to wear N95 respirators will be fit-tested and medically screened prior to use to assure they are physically able to do so. We will work in partnership with the Nassau University Medical Center to provide this capability. Parents will also be encouraged to provide face coverings for students however, face coverings will be provided for any student that cannot provide their own.
Availability of Safe Transportation
Where practicable, students will be socially distanced on the bus and when boarding the bus. Details are provided in the Transportation section.
Local Health Department
We will continue to work closely with the Nassau County Department of Health and the liaison that will be assigned to Nassau County School Districts to determine local hospital capacity. We will also continue to communicate with the NCDOH Communicable Disease Division for guidance at 516-227-9639 during work hours and 516-742-6154 after hours.
The following state and local links must be used to stay abreast of local hospital capacity:
Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
Please see the Communication & Engagement section for information on “Communication and Family Engagement”.