ACA Grant Program FAQs
What is the structure of the program?
Students work on courses asynchronously, on their own, following suggested pacing and due dates within the course in the LMS (Learning Management System). Students have support from a virtual teacher of record (TOR), who meet with students weekly, live via Zoom, and is available for ongoing support, via email/Remind.
Who supports the student?
Students are supported by the Nassau BOCES' student mentor, Dana Schultz, their school counselor/mentor, and the virtual teacher.
How are grades/progress reported?
Nassau BOCES' mentor sends biweekly updates on student progress to school counselors and guardians. Guardians and school counselors are given accounts in our SIS (student information system) and are able to view/monitor student progress at any time. Final grades and comments are shared with the district. The district is responsible for reporting final grades on student report cards. Transcripts are able to be furnished as needed.
What apps/tools are used?
- Genius SIS (Student Information System) is used to store student and course information and progress. Communication is available via email within Genius.
- BUZZ LMS (Learning Management System) is where our courses are housed. Students access BUZZ via Genius. Students complete all assignments in BUZZ.
- Remind is used for text/messaging between students, teachers, and families. The Remind app is a free recommended download for use on mobile devices.
There are times when emails/sites may need to be "whitelisted" by the district's IT department. Please let us know if you encounter this issue and we will work with your IT dept to ensure student access.
Some courses may require a visit/account on a third party app. If this is the case, we will work with the district IT to ensure access.
What fees is the district responsible for? What fees does the grant cover?
ACA Grant covers the following fees:
- Virtual TOR
- Administrative oversight
- AP course curriculum and content
- Tutoring fees
District covers the following fees:
- SUNY Empire tuition and fees
- AP registration fee
Who do I reach out to with questions?
Any course/content related questions can be sent to the virtual teacher via Genius or Remind
Any tech issues can be reported to our help desk: bit.ly/colhelpdesk
Questions other than related to course content can be sent to Dana Schultz email@example.com