Health and Safety
The Health and Safety office is responsible for ensuring safe and healthful schools and workplaces for students, staff and visitors throughout Nassau BOCES. They develop and manage programs and procedures designed to eliminate hazards, reduce accidents and workplace injuries, assure regulatory compliance and respond to emergencies. Services include:
- Safety Hotline: Responds to employee safety and health concerns. Before calling the hotline, staff should report any hazardous condition spotted to their principal or building administrator who will alert the custodial staff. A reasonable amount of time should be given for the situation to be remediated. If the issue is not resolved, staff should call the safety hotline at 516-396-2400. All calls are kept confidential upon request, but anonymous phone calls will not be addressed.
- Safety Committee: The committee gives an opportunity for all levels of the organization to have their safety concerns addressed. The committee discusses ways and comes up with recommendations to promote safety and health, in order to reduce accidents and improve safety awareness throughout Nassau BOCES.
- Emergency planning, training, and response at the building and agency-wide level
- Oversee the District-wide School Safety Team under Project SAVE
- Fire prevention and safety and fire inspections
- Workers' compensation insurance program oversight
- Training and awareness in safe work practices and accident prevention, including safety tips sheets available on the Nassau BOCES website
- Regulatory compliance, inspections and information resource in the areas of safety (OSHA, PESH, EPA, DEC, DOL), health (CDC, DOH) and insurance (NYSIF and NYSIR)
- Indoor air quality and environmental investigations
- Illness prevention and infection control
- Automatic external defibrillator program management
- Blood drive coordination
Safety Hotline: (516) 396-2400