Welcome to the Online Learning Academy!
Fully prepare your K-12 students for college and career by enrolling them in the courses they need.
What is OLA?The Online Learning Academy; OLA for short, enables school districts to provide a variety of courses for which in - district faculty or facilities may not be available. It provides a remote learning option for Homebound or remote learners, enrollment in courses a district is not able to provide, opportunities for professional students who may be unable to complete full days onsite, and remote credit recovery options for students needing to complete courses outside of the school environment or beyond the school day. Students are able to enroll in a single course or a full course schedule.Enrolling a student in the Online Learning Academy and OLA will provide:
- Course content for a variety of Core Content, Credit Recovery and Elective Courses
- New York State Certified Teachers of Record
- Ongoing Administrative oversight
Online Learning Academy courses are facilitated by members of the Nassau BOCES Virtual Teacher of Record Team (VTRT). Districts are also able to utilize OLA resources and assign in-district teacher facilitators.
All virtual courses that are facilitated by VTRT have been enhanced to include the following to help students transition to the virtual environment:
- A student/parent orientation, including an "Introduction to Online Learning" module
- Up to one-hour of weekly, virtual face-to-face sessions
- Ongoing virtual support (audio conversations, IM, email, etc.) facilitated by an OLA student mentor working in conjunction with student's district-based School Counselors
- Registration begins when a student and their guidance counselor determine if the student is a good candidate for taking online courses. Learn more about what makes Good Candidate for Taking Online Classes here.
- Once student candidacy is determined, the guidance counselor and student should work together to select which courses they would like to take by viewing our course catalog.
- From here, they will need to contact their 'District Mentor' to complete enrollment. Learn more about who your District Mentor is here.
- Credit Recovery Courses in all content areas.
- Original Credit Courses to help students get ahead (AP, PE/Health, Electives, World Language and more).
- Variety of electives courses to choose from; such as forensics, journalism, art and more.
*Prices above include Course Content, Facilitator Fees, and Nassau BOCES Fees, but not the cost of course materials
Online Learning Academy Course Drop/Extension Policy:
Drop First Week (Foundations of Online Learning Orientation) – No Charge
Drop During First Two Weeks of Course Facilitation: $75
Drop After Two Weeks Course Facilitation: Full Cost
$75 per five-week extension. Must be in multiples of 5 weeks. No drops are allowed during the extension periods.*Prices above include Nassau BOCES Course Content, Facilitator Fees, Teacher of Record, and Nassau BOCES Fees**In the event Nassau BOCES cannot provide an NYS Teacher of Record for a course requested, the student will be enrolled in AccellerateU; the statewide BOCES online learning collaboration. Additional fees may apply.
CoSers: 409.010, 409.511, 409.030