Students will learn the skills needed to assist in all phases of dentistry from taking x-rays to four handed chair-side assisting. They will have the opportunity to complete a clinical rotation and assist in actual dental procedures. Through hands-on experience, students will develop skills as receptionists,and chairside assistants. The students will learn how to use personal computers for patient records,billing and correspondence. Students will have the opportunity to work with new technology in digital radiography.Dental Assistants will learn the essential clinical skills that include:
- Assisting in dental procedures
- Handling dental/medical emergencies
- Instructing patients how to properly brush and floss
- Preparing restorative and impression materials
- Fabricating bleaching trays
- Infection control and sterilizing and mounting x-rays
- Digital Radiology
- Following occupations safety and Health Administration guidelines and universal precautions
- Maintaining computerized dental records
Students are required to wear lab coats everyday, on Fridays, students wear scrubs.
Males: black or white scrubs
Females: purple scrub top and white scrub buttons
For field trips, student must wear proper scrubs.