This course supports
New York State CDOS CredentialRequirements
The curriculum consists of 1,000 hours of both written and practical training. It covers all phases in the field of cosmetology including the newest innovative techniques and methods allowing students to hone and foster their creative skills while being engaged in this student-centered learning environment. Students will be prepared for a rewarding and profitable entry into the growing beauty industry. Cosmetology prepares students for their New York State Board Cosmetology exams, which they must pass in order to become licensed cosmetologists in New York State.
Students Will Learn a Number of Skills in a Wide Variety of Areas, including:
- Highlighting and hair coloring techniques such as ombre, balayage, foiling, special effects color
- Makeup techniques including highlighting and contouring, eyelash application, winged eyeliner, smoky eye, foundation matching, color correction, SFX (special effects), eyebrows
- Performing complete makeovers including fun daytime looks, glamorous night time looks and more
Young Stylists Will Also Learn:
- Skin care
- Eyebrow waxing and shaping services
- Styling hair for special events or prom
- Performing all haircuts including blunt haircut, layered haircut, angels, v-cut, bangs and more
- Applying hair extensions using techniques such as sew-in, tape-in, clip-in, micro beads, and more
- Manicuring techniques including nail shaping, fashion forward nail art such as an ombre look, matte nails and 3D nail art
Beauty-related careers offer flexible hours and opportunities to work from home or to own shops or spas. Many graduates attend college and often use their skills to help pay expenses.
Typical job titles in the field of cosmetology include Hair Color Technician, Hair Cutting Technician, Hairdresser’s Assistant, Hair Stylist, Makeup Artist, Nail Technician, Salon Manager or Owner, Scalp/Hair Specialist, Skin Care Technician, Teacher, Waxing Technician and Wig Technician.
In addition to learning skills in the cosmetology field students learn other professional skills such as creating resumes, building digital online portfolios (websites), business and money management and communication skills. This is a New York State approved 1,000-hour cosmetology course that qualifies students to take the state licensing exam.
Upon completion of this course, students may receive college credits subject to the entrance requirements of each institution and any additional criteria that may have been established. Current college agreements include:
- Bryant and Stratton College
- Mercy College (Dual Enrollment)
- New England Institute of Technology (NEIT)
Work Experience Opportunities
During the second year of this program, the classroom becomes a professional salon environment. Students will have the opportunity to execute their new found skills on clients. In addition, students will have in and out-of-house demonstrations from the fields top professionals such as MAC makeup artists, stylists, salon and other business owners.
Students will be connected to industry professionals for networking opportunities as well as job placements.
Students who meet all eligibility requirements may participate in supervised, real-world, extended classroom experience, work-based learning offerings that include clinics, job shadow days and internships at workplace sites such as:
- Creative Designs Salon
- EHD Hair Design
- Hair Above Salon
- Lourdes Unisex
- Studio L 516
- MAC Cosmetics
- OPIA Hair & Makeup Studio
Course available : Grades 11–12
Course length : 2 years
Credits: Up to 4 CTE credits a year
Admissions criteria: Students must demonstrate good fine motor dexterity.
Earning high school credits: Students completing this 2-year course may receive up to 8 CTE credits OR distributed credits using any or all of the following:
0.5 credit Career and Financial Management
1.0 credit Math–Specialized
1.0 credit English
1.0 credit Science
This Course is certified by New York State
This course supports New York State
CDOS Credential Requirements
Human and Public Services
Position is primarily responsible for production of industrial coatings using custom CVD equipment.
Position is primarily responsible for issuing and tracking work orders, ensuring that required material is supplied to the production floor, according to the production schedule.