Barry Tech | Business/Information Services | Dental Assisting in Long Island
About This Course:
Students will learn the skills needed to assist in all phases of dentistry, from taking X-rays to four-handed chairside assisting, and have the opportunity to complete a clinical rotation and assist in actual dental procedures. Through hands-on experience, students will develop skills as receptionists, office managers, chairside assistants and the use of personal computers for patient records, billing and correspondence.
Students Will Learn:
Potential Dental Assistants will learn the essential clinical skills that include:
- Assisting in dental procedures
- Handling dental/medical emergencies
- CPR certification
- Instructing patients how to properly brush and floss
- Preparing restorative and impression materials
- Infection Control
- Sterilizing techniques
- Taking, processing and mounting X-rays
- Digital radiography
- Following Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines and universal precautions
- Maintaining computerized dental records (DENTRIX)
- Fabricating bleaching trays
*Upon completion of the required training and exams, students will be certified in CPR, Heart Saver/First Aid through the American Heart Association.
Students who successfully complete this two-year course in addition to 200 hours of clinical experience will have the knowledge and skills necessary to sit for the New York State Dental Assisting Certification Exam. Participants must be 17 years of age and a high school graduate to apply for licensure. Additional fees for this exam are required. Many graduates attend college to pursue further education in dental hygiene, dentistry, or other health-related professions.
Typical job titles in the field of dentistry include:
- Dental assistant (in private practice, hospitals or dental clinics)
- Office Manager (Business Assistant)
- Dental Product Representative