Health Care Skills
Barry Tech | Health Services | Health Care Skills in Long Island
About This Course
In this course, students will learn the skills needed to prepare for basic, entrylevel jobs in a variety of health-related occupations. They will study anatomy, physiology and microbiology, and learn to understand and implement universal precautions. Students will also develop effective communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment. Computer modules are incorporated into class work.
Students Will Learn
- Sterilizing procedures and infection control
- Patient wheelchair transport
- Bed to wheelchair transfer
- Preparing an open/closed hospital bed
- Taking and recording pulse, blood pressure and temperature
- Measuring height and weight
- Understanding nutrition and special dietary needs
- Body mechanics
- Anatomy and physiology
- Basic medical terminology
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to work in several non-licensed entry-level positions in hospitals, clinics, dietary departments, adult day treatment centers and nursing homes. Graduates may opt to attend a post-secondary institution or college to continue their education in a health career field. Typical job titles in healthcare include transport assistant, transporter, bed and bath team member, hospital bed maker, adult day treatment counselor, patient communicator and dietary aide.