Physical Therapy Aide and Rehabilitation Medicine
Barry Tech | Health Services | Physical Therapy Aide and
Rehabilitation Medicine in Long Island
About This Course
Physical therapy helps patients regain function and improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent permanent physical disabilities by restoring, maintaining, and promoting overall fitness and health. This entry-level course will prepare students to become part of a rehabilitation team. Students will assist in performing patient positioning and rangeof-motion exercises while developing an understanding of both applications. Students will learn theoretical concepts and practice skills, then move into a patient care setting where they will gain firsthand experience with patients and hone their skills.
Therapy Aides-in-Training Will Learn
- How to treat many populations including children, athletes, the elderly and people with health-related conditions
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical terminology
- How to measure vital signs
- Range-of-motion exercises
- Use of canes, crutches and walkers
- Massage therapy
- Hot packs / ice applications and sports medicine
- Stretches/strengthening exercises
- Whirlpool therapy
- Fitness, nutrition and weight control
- Office duties
Upon completion of the required training and exams, students will have the opportunity to be certified in CPR, Heart Saver/First Aid through the American Heart Association.
Our Alumni Job Portal provides listings posted by our business partners. Check out the listings below to find any available career opportunities.