Bilingual & World Languages
Accurate as of October 20, 2020
NYSED Reopening Mandatory Requirements
As Nassau BOCES prepares to reopen schools in 2020-21, we will afford all English language learners with the opportunity for full and equal participation whether it be through an in-person, remote, or hybrid model of instruction. We remain mindful of the legal requirements, we will proactively address inequities, and we are committed to providing English language learners with the supports needed to close the potential learning loss that may have been a result of the school closures due to COVID-19.
ELL Identification Process
The English language learner identification process is a New York State legal requirement of all local school districts. Nassau BOCES will ensure that component school districts uniformly and consistently implement the temporary emergency regulatory changes to the identification process to determine if a student is an English Language Learner when he or she initially enrolls in or reenters a Nassau BOCES school.
Unit of Study
Nassau BOCES will provide the required instructional units of study and staffing requirements to all English language learner based on their most recently measured English language proficiency level during in-person or hybrid instruction as per Commissioner's Regulations Part 154-2.
We will maintain regular communication with the parents/guardians and other family members of English language learners to ensure that they are engaged in their children’s education during the reopening process. We will provide all communications for parents/guardians of English language learners in their preferred language and mode of communication. This includes, but is not limited to, information related to: registration and enrollment in school and school programs, grievance procedures and notices of nondiscrimination, parent handbooks, student discipline policies and procedures, special education and related services, and meetings to discuss special education, parent-teacher conferences, and requests for parent permission for student participation in school activities.
Recommended Best Practices
- Nassau BOCES will continue to adopt policies to meet the guidelines outlined in the Blueprint for English Language Learner/Multilingual Learner Success in the delivery of remote and hybrid learning.
- We will strengthen Nassau BOCES protocols that promote coordination among English as a New Language (ENL) and content area teachers for the delivery of remote and hybrid learning. Nassau BOCES will continue to support and encourage weekly meetings between ENL teachers and content area teachers to co-plan, co-deliver, and individualize instruction for all students in a class.
- To the greatest extent possible, we will ensure that all English language learners and other vulnerable students can access technology and wi-fi needed for periods of remote learning, so they do not fall further behind as a result of COVID-19 closures and remote/hybrid learning. During the spring 2020 COVID-19 closure all English language learners were provided with laptops and iPads and given information to access free wi-fi to support their English language instruction.
- Nassau BOCES is committed to keep the unique needs of parents of English language learners in mind and provide support and guidance on the logistics and functionality of a remote or hybrid learning model—including interpretation and translation needs as described above—to ensure that they have equitable access to critical information about their children’s education as they transition back to school in fall 2020.
- Focused professional learning will be provided to all teachers of English language learners to strengthen their knowledge and skills to address new learning challenges that they may face as a result of spring 2020. In the 2019-20 school year Nassau BOCES provided over 32 professional development courses related to English as a New Language and bilingual instruction.
- We will ensure that the specific needs of Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education, English language learners with individualized education plans, and other vulnerable populations during the reopening process will be addressed.
- Nassau BOCES provides regional expertise in the field of educational technology and we are committed to utilizing educational technology when teaching ELLs in both in-person and hybrid models to reinforce students’ familiarity with these tools.