Planning for College
Almost 70% of the graduating seniors who attend Barry Tech go to college. The well-rounded career and technical education students receive at Nassau BOCES prepares them for immediate jobs as prepared, trained, and often certified, employees. Simultaneously, students are ready to enter college fully prepared for their freshman experience, frequently using the articulated or dual enrollment credits they earned at Barry Tech.
College readiness requires the development of unique skills and knowledge that are different from those required for employment. Barry Tech students gain these skills and knowledge through a variety of methods:
- direct instruction in their CTE class
- the college fair and college guidebook
- counselor preparation programs that include application, scholarship, and financial aid assistance; and presentations by experts in these areas
- college visit days and admissions meetings on the Barry Tech campus
- visitations of college and post-secondary campuses
- coordination with home school counselors and college assistance
- the use of a variety of modern technologies and college exploration online products.