Outdoor Ed is alive and well at Nassau BOCES
It’s time to plan your outdoor education programs!
Nassau BOCES Outdoor Education’s interactive programs provide hands-on lessons that support the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards and STEAM education while integrating language arts, math, and social studies. Programs are offered within five broad categories:
- School-Based: Interdisciplinary programs that challenge students to think and explore with the aid of a trained naturalist in real-time or virtually.
- Team Building: Adventure Education Programs facilitate personal and interpersonal growth. Teambuilding Activities are instrumental in the practice of SEDL skills (social, emotional, development and learning).
- Science/STEM: Nassau BOCES’ Environmental Center at Caumsett State Park has 1600 acres of fields, forests, pond, salt marsh and seashore to explore.
- Social Studies: Programs focus on Early American history and practices to give students an appreciation for colonial lifestyles and comparative technologies.
- Vendor/Local Trips: You can use an approved vendor or request a specific vendor for consideration.
- Integrates environmental science into classrooms by having students hypothesize, experiment, draw conclusions, and solve problems
- Creates opportunities for students to learn about themselves and their peers
- Uses a problem- or project-based approach to help increase student comprehension and retention
- Stresses the interrelatedness and delicate balance that exists among the living and non-living components unique to each community.
For more information on any of these programs, see Outdoor and Environmental Education.
NEW Marine Biology Program at Jones Beach Brings Science to Life!
The OEE Marine Biology Program at Jones Beach turns students into scientists for the day and makes learning fun. Students step out of the classroom and explore the bay, shoreline, plants and animals, and biodiversity of their surroundings with the aid of a naturalist.
It was awesome to see the bay versus ocean landscape! What a delightful experience to have a trip align with our teachings in class!
This article is part of Connections, the quarterly newsletter of the Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Technology.