Nassau BOCES honors exceptional educators at 2018 Education Partner Awards Gala
Fifteen of Long Island’s most ardent supporters of public education were honored with the 2018 Nassau BOCES Education Partner Award. Fourteen individuals and one organization, all of whom have made a substantial impact on public education in Nassau County, received the award during an official ceremony held at the Nassau BOCES Educational Foundation’s twelfth annual gala.
During the past 12 years, more than 100 individuals have been honored with this prestigious award, which recognizes those who have had a profound effect on public education. A strategic education partner with local school districts since 1967, Nassau BOCES created the award to pay tribute to those who share its commitment to enabling students of all ages and abilities to achieve their maximum potential.
The Education Partner Awards program recognizes individuals from all walks of life. Past and present honorees include outstanding community and business leaders, civil servants, government officials, nonprofit executives and volunteers, organizations, school administrators and staff, students, teachers, and Nassau BOCES employees.
The annual awards gala is a way of celebrating those who have made significant strides in supporting and improving education on Long Island. The event is sponsored by the Nassau BOCES Educational Foundation, an independent, community-based organization devoted to enhancing educational opportunities for students who take part in Nassau BOCES schools, services or programs. The Foundation is a non-profit that supports initiatives beyond the scope of the agency's budget.
“It gives us great pleasure to congratulate our 2018 Education Partner honorees,” Nassau BOCES Board President Eric Schultz said on behalf of the agency. “They are all extraordinary, sharing our commitment to creating safe and caring educational environments where all students can achieve their greatest potential. We are grateful for your support of our students and programs.”
“Tonight, we are honoring 14 people and one organization who have proven that they are innovators,” said Nassau BOCES District Superintendent Dr. Robert Dillon. “Individually and collectively, they have had a powerful impact on public education in this county and we have all benefited from their efforts. Their support of public education will go a long way toward helping students reach their maximum potential.”
Following are the 2018 Education Partner Awards honorees, by category.
- Dr. Mara Bollettieri, Deputy Superintendent, Bellmore-Merrick CHSD
- John E. Brooks, New York State Senator, District 8
- Kevin Dougherty, Principal, Elmont Memorial High School, Sewanhaka CHSD
- Dr. Ralph P. Ferrie, Superintendent, Sewanhaka CHSD
- Marianne Litzman, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Hicksville UFSD
- Dr. Tonie McDonald, Superintendent, Levittown UFSD
- Lisa J. Ruiz, Superintendent, East Rockaway UFSD
School Board Members
- Peggy Marenghi, President, Levittown Board of Education, Levittown UFSD
- Christine Napolitano, President, Mineola Board of Education, Mineola UFSD
- Michael Pomerico, President, Freeport Board of Education, Freeport UFSD
Nassau BOCES Employees
- Lucinda P. Hurley, Executive Director, Nassau BOCES Department of Strategic Initiatives
- Teresa Scaturro, Executive Assistant and Board Secretary, Nassau BOCES; Board Member, Nassau BOCES Educational Foundation
- Edward Stella, Automotive Teacher, Nassau BOCES Barry Tech / Adult CTE
- Ronald Vitiello, Lead Project Maintainer, Nassau BOCES Department of Facilities Services
- Surf for All, Cliff Skudin, Co-Founder
For additional information about the Nassau BOCES Education Partner awards, including profiles of prior year honorees, please visit www.nassauboces.org/educationpartner.